WHERE TO BUY CHINESE LANGUAGE BOOKS
Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk. Input the author’s name in pinyin spelling, eg Jia Pingwa. The Chinese book name will sometimes come up transcribed in pinyin; or sometimes the book name will be translated, but will say in brackets (in Chinese)
Sino-Media USA, for Mainland China books. Email Mr. Wang at firstname.lastname@example.org
YesAsia.com, based in Hong Kong. (Tip: spell author’s name as three words, eg spell JIA Pingwa as Jia Ping Wa.) A bilingual site where Chinese book results show up on its English as well as Chinese pages.
Eslite Bookstore: www.eslite.com/. Taiwan. Website in Chinese only.
Grassroots Book Room (email@example.com) and City Book Room (firstname.lastname@example.org). Singapore. See also their Facebook pages (no website). They’re happy to e-mail in English, so that’s probably the best option for US librarians who don’t speak Chinese.
- Arthur Probsthain – a real bookshop in London
- Cypress Books 常青圖書 – online bookstore
- Guanghwa Bookshop 光华书店 – a real bookshop in London
- Foyles Charing Cross Road – a real bookshop in London
- AsianParent – online bookstore
- Betterchinese.com – online bookstore
- China Sprout – online bookstore
- Yesasia.com – online bookstore
- ReadWithMeMommy – online bookstore
Compiled by Nicky Harman and the team at Paper Republic